Monday, August 11, 2008

Oh God, You Devil


This hurts. The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.

You can argue that Rolen's offensive numbers this year don't compare favourably to Glaus' from last year, and that the trade therefore didn't make sense for the Jays, especially given that Rolen has hit the DL for the very shoulder that represented the deal's big question mark. But then there's the defense. And then, then there's the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, it is without question more enjoyable to watch a team which features Scott Rolen. I hate to invoke intangibles here, but there's something about Rolen's head-down, mouth-shut posture, his workmanlike attitude, that rubs me the right way. Oh, and watching him play third base. Hot damn, I love to watch the man play third base.

Get well soon, Mr. Rolen. Because, as much as I'd love to see this team go on a tear and work themselves into contention, I'd also like to simply enjoy watching them, and I'm not sure seeing Scutaro at third will give me quite the same feeling (even if Johnny Mac is playing immediately to his left).

No comments: